Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Big Foot to the rescue

Day 6, Willow Creek to Eureka.
Woke up this morning and the first thing I did was to try and fix the rear brake on my bike. Since there was no way I was going to find a bolt to fit brake, I got out my zip ties and gerry rigged the brake to the frame. I tried it out in the motel parking lot, and it seemed to work, but I had my reservations how it would hold up going down the two passes I had to cross. I was checking out of the Bigfoot Motel, talking with the manager about the two passes, when from another room a voice said "I'm going to Eureka....ask him if he wants a ride." Turns out the voice belonged to Joe, the owner of the motel. He had a truck and said he was leaving in 20min. I ran back to the room and gathered all my gear, threw it and the bike in the back of his truck, and off we went. He dropped me off at a bike shop in Arcata. Mr. Bike got some well deserved attention from Garrett at Revolution Cyclery.
He was impressed with my make do brake rig, but he had the bolt I needed, fixed the brake, trued the wheel, and installed a new cluster with some lower gearing. Much better! I'm staying at a campground  just outside of Eureka.
Tomorrow I head south and into the Avenue of the Giants.

1 comment:

  1. That's where I went to school. I'll be up there again in June with my son checking out the campus.

    ReplyDelete